Monday 27 November 2017

Let's sing : somebody I used to know

Complete the lyrics of the song by using the simple past of the verbs in the box


be (x4)     can          feel           not have(x2)   happen    say (x2)    tell


"Somebody That I Used To Know"
(feat. Kimbra)

[Gotye:]
Now and then I think of when we _______ (1) together
Like when you _____ (2) you felt so happy you could die
______ (3) myself that you were right for me
But _____ (4) so lonely in your company
But that was love and it's an ache I still remember.

You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness
Like resignation to the end, always the end
So when we felt  that we _____(5)  not make sense
Well you said that we would still be friends
But I'll admit that I _____ (6)  glad that it was over

You ________ (7) to cut me off
Make out like it never _________ (8)  and that we _____ (9) nothing
And I don't even need your love
But you treat me like a stranger and that feels so rough
No you ________ (10) to stoop so low
Have your friends collect your records and then change your number
I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just somebody that I used to know
Now you're just somebody that I used to know
Now you're just somebody that I used to know

[Kimbra:]
Now and then I think of all the times you screwed me over
But had me believing it ____(11) always something that I’d done
But I don't wanna live that way
Reading into every word you say
You ______ (12) that you could let it go
And I wouldn't catch you hung up on somebody that you used to know

Chorus
Somebody
(I used to know)
Somebody
(Now you're just somebody that I used to know)

(I used to know)
(That I used to know)
(I used to know)
Somebody
Exercises
    1)   Explain the meaning of the words and expressions in bold:
a)      Now and then
b)      That feels so rough
c)       We could not make sense
d)      You screwed me over
e)      Hung up on somebody

     2)   Transform the following expressions of the song using ‘used to’
a)      I think of when we were together:

    3)   Can you explain the structure: have +someone+ infinitive in the sentence: have your friends collect your records…? What does it mean? Can you say it in another way?



   4) What is the meaning of ‘though’ in I guess that I don’t need that though. Can you replace ‘though’ for a different marker?
     
5    5) Can you omit the relative in "Somebody that I used to know"?

No comments:

Post a Comment